Germain Lussier is a senior reporter covering entertainment for the io9 section of Gizmodo. He lives in Los Angeles, specializes in film reporting, and is our lead film critic.you can follow his report Hereemail your story ideas and tips to email@example.com.
Nine of the 10 highest-grossing movies of 2022 were all sequels. Five of those ten were superhero movies. And while it all sounds incredibly depressing, but it is Maintained status quo for over ten years. People go to the movies to see blockbuster franchises they know well.but last Year Even some of them could not break through.How toy story spin off Only make $118 million?a Harry potter Movies Under $100 Million. Is the theatrical movie experience dying as home viewing windows shrink and streaming services improve? 2023, find out if someone can Save the experience of going to the movies.
What we are waiting for:
- A bcattle office boom. 2023 is jam-packed with more theatrical movies that have the potential to please audiences more than the last few years combined. there is. spiderman theme movie new Indiana Jones, Transformers, Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious,animation Super mariolive action little mermaidMassive Horror Franchises, Comedy Franchises, barbie, you name it.It could be a big year for movies.
- critical hit. Aside from big franchises, 2023 will also see movies from big-name filmmakers.Martin Scorsese, Hayao Miyazaki, Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, Steven Soderbergh, M. Night Shyamalan, etc. important and financial success.
- For streaming releases showing off your feet.We have a lot original movie Streamers like Netflix, Apple TV+, and Disney+ have released it, but we don’t yet know if it will. break down Use If it was popular culturally or just for a week and then disappeared.
Many factors contribute to people going to the theater less often. The ongoing covid-19 pandemic, shrinking home release windows, rising ticket prices and more. Many would bet that these trends would continue and theater attendance would decline, but I say the opposite. This his 2023 slate is impressive. There are so many famous movies that even grandparents have heard about that they could help revive the entire industry.
People to follow:
- Bob Iger – of The Walt Disney Company CEO makes a decision that will change the course of movie history. Will there be more of them in 2023? Let’s see.
- James Gunn – Not just Gunn, we have a highly anticipated release. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Come on, he will spend 2023 rebuilding the future of DC Films with partner Peter Safran.that is A job that will be one of the biggest stories of the year, It could define the future of Warner Bros. Discovery.
- Phil Lord When Chris Miller – These producer partners/filmmaking duos have two Spider-Verse movies in the works. They seem to know exactly what their audience wants.
- Patty Jenkins – no more supervision wonder woman 3but might oversee again Star Wars movie. W.Anyway Jenkins next moveyou bet it will be close continuedWill she make another franchise movie? Will she be courted by streamers?
Companies to watch:
- walt disney company – No surprises here. Disney manages so many major brands and franchises… Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney+, ESPN, Hulu… They are consistently the highest-grossing studio in the world, And always a tastemaker.
- netflix – Again, no surprises here. The world’s biggest streamer is sure to bring plenty of surprises and point fingers at the pulse of the streaming industry.
- paramount pictures – A few years ago, the legendary Paramount movie downswing. No blockbusters, no franchises, nothing. But thanks in part to meticulous planning and his top-grossing movie of 2022, things are starting to change. Top Gun Maverick. 2023 will see them really back in the game with some of the biggest and most anticipated movies of the year.
While the top 10 highest-grossing movies are all franchise films, 2023 could be the year the streaming service finally takes over and wins Best Picture at the Oscars. (This will happen in 2024, but for movies in 2023.) Also, the highest-grossing movies of the year aren’t from Marvel or DC.